Williston is a small city located in Barnwell County, South Carolina. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in South Carolina. It has a population of around 2,000 people and covers an area of 2.2 square miles. The city is situated on the Savannah River and is known for its hot and humid summers and mild winters. Williston has a long history that dates back to the 1700s when it was first established as an Indian trading post. The city later became one of the most important cotton markets in the state during the 19th century, due to its location on the river.
Politically, Williston is part of South Carolina’s second congressional district and is represented by Republican Representative Joe Wilson in Congress. The economy of Williston relies heavily on agriculture, with many farms in the area growing soybeans, corn, wheat, and cotton. Additionally, there are several small businesses located within the town.
Williston is served by two schools: Williston-Elko High School and Middle School which serve students from grades 6 through 12; as well as East End Elementary School which serves students from kindergarten through fifth grade. All three schools are part of Barnwell County School District 45 and are accredited by AdvancED/Southern Association of Colleges & Schools (SACS).
Some popular landmarks located within Williston include Battery Creek Park which features a playground, picnic area, walking trails; Fort Buford which was built during the Civil War; and Stoney Hill Plantation House which dates back to 1800s plantation era and houses a museum open to public tours. Additionally, there are several churches in town including First Baptist Church of Williston and St James Catholic Church both dating back to 1883.
Population: 3,307. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,260 (-1.4% change)
Males: 1,538 (46.5%), Females: 1,769 (53.5%)
Zip code: 29853
Median resident age: 36.3 years
Median household income: $26,371
Median house value: $62,700
Races in Williston:
- White Non-Hispanic (50.6%)
- Black (47.5%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (11.8%), Irish (8.3%), German (5.2%), English (4.8%), Italian (1.8%), Scottish (1.8%).
Elevation: 353 feet
Land area: 8.9 square miles
Williston, South Carolina is a small town located in Bamberg County, with a population of just over 2,000 people. The median household income for the town is $36,731 and the median home value is $90,400. The cost of living in Williston is significantly lower than the national average, making it an attractive option for those looking to move to a more affordable area. The town offers an abundance of outdoor recreation including fishing, boating and camping at nearby lakes and rivers. There are also several parks and walking trails located within the city limits. Education is another strong point in Williston; it has its own school district with two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school that serve the community. In addition to these educational facilities there are also several private schools in the area as well as two universities located nearby. Healthcare options are relatively limited in Williston but there are several medical clinics and hospitals within 30 miles of the city limits. Shopping options are limited but there is a grocery store, some convenience stores and a few small restaurants located within 10 miles of downtown Williston. The overall crime rate in Williston is low compared to both state and national averages making it a safe place to live.
For population 25 years and over in Williston
- High school or higher: 61.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 10.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Williston town
- Never married: 32.5%
- Now married: 41.6%
- Separated: 7.8%
- Widowed: 13.0%
- Divorced: 5.1%
0.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +161 (+5.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Williston:
- BARNWELL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; BARNWELL, SC)
- AIKEN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; AIKEN, SC)
- BAMBERG COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; BAMBERG, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Williston:
- AUGUSTA RGNL AT BUSH FIELD (about 37 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Abbreviation: AGS)
- COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN (about 43 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Abbreviation: CAE)
- MC ENTIRE ANGS (about 57 miles; EASTOVER, SC; Abbreviation: MMT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Williston:
- BARNWELL COUNTY (about 11 miles; BARNWELL, SC; Abbreviation: BNL)
- BAMBERG COUNTY (about 24 miles; BAMBERG, SC; Abbreviation: 99N)
- AIKEN MUNI (about 25 miles; AIKEN, SC; Abbreviation: AIK)
Amtrak station near Williston:
- 20 miles: DENMARK (200 W. BARUCH ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Williston:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 24 miles; AIKEN, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,636)
- AUGUSTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 41 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,300)
- AUGUSTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 41 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,778)
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 50 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 19,682)
- MIDLANDS TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 51 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,958)
- BENEDICT COLLEGE (about 53 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
Public high school in Williston:
- WILLISTON ELKO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 257; Location: 416 EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Williston:
- KELLY EDWARDS ELEMENTARY (Students: 376; Location: 808 ELKO STREET; Grades: PK – 04)
- WILLISTON-ELKO MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 338; Location: 404 EAST MAIN STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Williston:
- WINFIELD HEIGHTS CHRISTIAN KG (Students: 46; Location: 315 CHESTER STREET; Grades: PK – KG)